Saturday, May 16, 2020

You Can Learn A Lot from a Parsnip

Parsnips and social distancing. I went to the other market because I needed a walk. Had my mask on. I'm over at the discount veggies looking stuff over. I grab about a pound of crookneck squash and some parsnips. 

Woman with mask come up to me less than 20 inches and ask "What can you do with those?" I back up as I tell her she can use in soups and stews or as a roasted veggie. She picks up a bag and goes on her way.


Los Angeles Public Health Poster

Here is the thing. In normal times, there is only space for one or two people at the discount veggie spot. I honestly didn't think it hit her consciousness that she was too close.

I, however, are conscious of many things. I as a black woman cannot yell " get the fuck away from me" or, more likely "please maintain social distance from me' in any tone of voice without somebody pulling out their phone and calling 911.

Look how long and how many videos it took America to learn to wash their hands. 

I also know that many markets have narrow isles, packed with food, for now. A person would have to wait for someone to leave a section of fruit and veggies before entering it. That ain't happening. 

There are recordings in the store about please maintain social distancing. I kept hearing the recording, the other shoppers did not. 

Not at the meat case, where we all were stunned at the new prices of soon to vanish bacon, sausages, and pork products. Beef and chicken have hit the $10+ mark. 

Which now makes the imitation meat almost more affordable. I'm going to have to work on that concept for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment