Sunday, July 02, 2023

AudioMo Captioned Audio - Day 30

The image is from a Tex Avery cartoon called Swing Shift Cinderella. Woofie and Grannie are dancing up a storm. Well, Grannie is having a good time. Woofie is doing the best he can under the circumstances.


For AudioMo 2024, I'm thinking about doing some stuff on censored or banned cartoons. Censorship isn't always bad. It can inspire an artist or creator to find away around the block and make a better work of art.

Or, in the case of racial insensitive cartoons, there are a lot of them, they should be posted with historical context and the problem with them. 

That does not happen on YouTube. The people uploading them are more interested in clicks for cash.

Few more things;

AI has certainly improved the captioning process.  The apps that I tried this year:

Blink app on iOS and Android

New mobile app that allows you to record yourself and then it transcribes and place captions on the video. 

Works really well but you have to have a video ready for it to work. I couldn't figure out how to upload a picture, record audio and then have it caption. It is good and I need to play with it. I used the Android version.

Microsoft Clipchamp

Made it easier to add captions. Not perfect because I had to fiddle with where the sentence began or ended. Very good for under two minute videos.

Headliner

Frustrating. I could not adjust the container box location. I had to make more corrections than I would have liked. 

Do not get me wrong, this is a good program for the intended purpose. Making audiogram videos for podcasters. Locking down features is not a bad thing if the user isn't experienced. I just have problems with it. Other people love it and I know why but nope, not for me.

FlexClip

I bought this years ago and didn't like it. It has changed and evolved and boy, this is now my go to when it come to short video captioning. Accuracy is very good. Easy to use overall and being able to move the caption box location is important to me.

For quick videos under three minutes I would go with Clipchamp or FlexClip.

Clipchamp is free with a Microsoft account or if you sign in with a service like Google or Facebook.

There is a free version of FlexClip that caps at standard definition 480p, If you have to do a lot of short form videos test it out to see if it meets your needs.

As a reminder, you can create videos via PowerPoint, export the video and then use an app to place your captions.

Probably should have put this on the other blog. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment