Saturday, April 21, 2018

Sometime Reaching Across Lines Is Filled with Peril

I was on the bus, minding my own business deep in my shallow thoughts. Woman interrupts me asking me do I know the woman hugging up on P45.

I'm civil but I respond, "No I don't."

I turn away from her.

She asked again about another photo.

I then recognize her being the aunt of Martin Luther King.

She then proceeds to show photos of members of the King family who are with P45 during an MLK celebration at the White House.

"They are are rich and prosperous."

I'm really trying to reconnect with the Plexiglas window.

Then she wants me to look at a blog with a famous African American historian who explains that MLK was and would have remained Republican.

Then she commented "This has nothing to do with slavery. Do know about slavery? "I just wanted to educate you and other people about how MLK was a Republican."

That about ripped my last nerve.

"That may or may not be the truth, there is a spectrum of political participation in the African American community; some liberal, some conservative and some centrist.

I will not take the word of some woman on a blog about it. I am not conservative and I am not interested."

She then got on the phone and told somebody to paint the washing machine and that a prospective tenant was angry because the two bedroom apartment wasn't.

I immediately went to the store and bought a box of Orange Creamsicles.
I didn't fall of the wagon. I ran into the store and bought them. I can't do this sober any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment