Friday, May 22, 2009

Total Eclipse of the Heart on the Finally Friday Freakout

I first heard this song on the radio around midnight. I stayed up until quarter to two because I wanted to hear it again and find out who sang the song. I don't think I've been so struck hearing a song like that before. This is Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart.



I do like the song. Really. In the dark thinking about a guy and this comes on the radio? Whammo! It makes an impression.

The music video is freaking strange. I get what they tried to convey but dancing ninjas in a torch ballad? Em, I don't think so. Oh the other hand, I miss music videos. Because if you match up the right way to convey the song and the artist you create a bit of transformative art. And if you don't you get this mind blowing cultural kitsch that you can't begin to explain.

It is an understatement to say Bonnie had some hard luck with music videos.

So let me leave you with how she should have been presented at least once in her videos. This is Bonnie doing a cover of U2's I Still Haven't Found What I Am Looking For



Yep, she's alright with me. Keep the memory in Memorial Day and eat some BBQ for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment