Sunday, April 05, 2009

Why Women Should Learn Web Video - Videoblogging Week

Like we don't have enough to do right? Yeah, I know. Now even the term videoblogging has multiple meanings. Some people use it to define talking head videos. That is valid and important. Some use the term to include people creating citizen journalism, product reviews, tutorials, screencasts, travel, experimental, comedy, artistic....

Catching my drift? It can be anything that you want it to be. I'm going to use the term web video/videoblogging interchangeably. (And risk getting the metaphorical baseball bat to the head) because you don't need to do it every day or week. You can have a text blog but a video pops in once in a while.

I would happy if every woman I knew did one video saying who they are and what they want out of life appeared on a blog. Or whatever they wanted to show or share; I think. I know some radical dames so let me think about that one.

Maybe once in a while? Maybe you take a month to plan and a post one video? Cool with me. So why I'm I focusing on women this year? Well, a lot of women have dropped out or pulled back by necessity. It can be a time sink when you have a full life.

We Still Have to Tell Our Stories.


Here is why I think it is important for more women to create web videos and vlogs. It seems our stories only get told full force when a women is beaten, killed or showing parts of her anatomy. We are too diverse to allow this limited display of who we are; we are more than containers. We have stories to tell and information to share.

F**k those that don't want to hear us talk. (I don't mean that in a pleasurable way either.) We got to tell our stories anyway. So this is my small attempt at paying forward for all the good stuff videoblogging has brought my way.

Hope I can pull it off. I do have to put my ass on the line for the things I think are important and can no longer wait for someone else to do it. It is not going to fancy or slick. Just have to get it done.

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment