Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Truth is Glass - L.A. Convention Center

This is a video round up of my experience. I saw many things.

I have to say that I am glad that I went but it was the most un-erotic place I've ever been. Not to say that there wasn't items of interest but I think an opportunity has been missed.




The event was billed for couples, meaning women folk could attend and not get grossed out. I'd say the ratio was about 60% men and 40% women.

There were Booth Rabbits as well as Booth Bunnys. Just not enough Booth Rabbits. And there was DVD all over the joint selling for $2. I looked in the boxes. Sigh. How many times can you witness women practicing their oral exercises?

Yeah, I know fellas, I know. Never enough.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting that Sci-Fi CGI video for $10. But to be honest, I was looking at it more for analyzing the CGI techniques rather than the content.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm a reader so maybe it is me but there wasn't even DVD stuff I'd take a chance on for $2.

There were companies that didn't belong at the event. Teeth whitening? Realtors? Erectile Dysfunction vendors? What guy is going to walk up to an ED table at a Poontang show and say the magic words, "Can you help me?"

Ok, the caterer to Malibu Moms #4 was way cool, he should definitely come back next year. His stuff tasted very good.

There were products designed for the female persuasion but I had to walk from here to Padumpadump to find them.

Special shout out to local female friendly vendors such as Freddy and Eddy, Babeland (whose booth I couldn't find but I've been to the store) and The Pleasure Chest. These are good places to buy products and to check out the latest gadgets. They also have workshops and seminars.

But I don't think they have a silicone guy doll yet.

Who Wasn't There?

I'd think you'd want to invite condom makers like Trojan. Nope. No samples, no product information, cuz there was no Trojan or any other condom company.

I fully expected some of the safe sex organizations to be there but there were none in attendance. I covered that hall, let me tell you and there should have been a booth on safe sex practices. I know there are issues with the industry but this was an opportunity for outreach.

Lemme see, the de-sexing of the sexual. Between the warning signs (you could not touch, you could not flash skin and they would take your camera if you got caught snapping someone that did), the LAPD presence (they didn't look happy to be there and showed it) and the ever vigilant eyes of security that made sure nobody touched nothing corporeal it was as if you were looking at stuff through an invisible plexiglass door.

With the exception of the Art Show it was desaturated of energy. I don't know if that is a good thing or not. The repression continues...

Will I go next year? I don't think so. I'm too short to see over tall people's heads so I couldn't see the Zumanity performance or any of the stage shows.

As the show progressed it got more and more crowded. The more tall men packed the hall the less I was able to see. Maybe if they make changes to accommodate more single women and have more products that are easy to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment