Thursday, May 28, 2015

Learning Something New and It Hurts

So I'm just about ready to launch the audio podcast. I've had to speed learn about audio production, distribution and making it good.

My head hurts. It is like looking at the above highway sign. I know the form and the shape I want the podcast to take. I can see it and almost hear it in my head.


But I gotta get it out of my head and into the real world. I tell you, working with video is easier for me but you gotta try something new.

So, what have I learned:

Number 1. 

I do not want to do an interview show. When you start to learn about audio podcasting 99.999% of it is geared toward creating interview shows. Nothing wrong with interview shows. Not a bit. But I don't want to do one. Okay, fine but many of the people teaching about building a podcast talk about Skype and interviewing.

There are audio theater podcasts. History podcasts. Educational, sci-fi and a whole bunch more than interview podcasts. I swear to Jeebus there isn't anybody left to interview.

Then again, if you learn the basics and chuck out what you don't need you can do anything you want once you ramp up to speed.

Which is why I want to give a shout out to the History Pocasters; these folks take history and sometimes craft it into visions of audio drama or edutainment.  It is closer to the form that I want to try and it was really helpful.

Number 2

If you want piece of mind sometimes you have to pay for it.  This means being more efficient with time and resources. I didn't have time to dog down certain photos, sound fx or music themes. I purchased royalty free music and images. I got what I wanted and got it off my to do list.

Number 3

Failure. Not a big fan of it. Here is the thing. I can work in Audacity. It is a great free audio editing program. But I can barely function in it. Part of that is trying to learn and use it at the same time. Never a good thing. I had to let go of ego and watch a couple of good and bad tutorials.

I was so frustrated that I  used one of my video editing programs that can record audio to make prototypes. It was faster and I could test out ideas. That worked really well.

It just so happens that I had a music editing called Sony Acid Studio 10 on my computer that I like a whole lot better and found out that I can use it for podcast. I can move elements visually and bango chango it has made a huge difference.

So yeah, keep failing until you stumble into success.

I got a lot more failing I need to do so dig you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment