Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Man Says Show Your Work

I have been reading a book called Show Your Work by Austin Kleon. It is a encouragement to put your fanny on the line and show what you can do. Austin implores you to not to worry if the work it is good enough or top draw just do it, do it, and make it so.




Now, I just got back from a video storytelling workshop. I know the above video is handheld choppy and the lighting is not great. It is not the greatest story in the world. That is my hyper-critical side talking.  I'll do better the next time I record a video about bringing take-out Indian food back to the hotel.

Which isn't going to happen anytime soon. So what I need to do and remember is that it is a balance of being in the moment and respecting the moment by rendering it as best you can at the time.

In hindsight, I looked at that food and the ice cream and remembered the night before when I saw my body in a full length mirror and was shocked. I'm not the person I thought I was in my head.

Some kind of deception is going on.

And yet here I am.

Did I eat all of that food at one time? No, some of it was for breakfast.  Did I enjoy eating that mango ice cream?

Yes, absolutely.

Who am I? How did I get lost and why is the road getting back so long?

Always the dad gummed questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment