Friday, March 11, 2011

Metropolis (1927) on the Finally Friday Freakout

I'm branching out the Freakout to include movies I want to view, remember or are inspired by the craft of film making. I still haven't seen this movie, shame on me.

This is a restored and enhanced version of the great 1927 silent movie distributed by Kino.



This is what I call future-casting. Lemme see, wealthy upper class folks enjoying life and culture? Yep. Labor class works and is drained of individuality? Yep.

Mass revolt, destruction and creation of new world view? Sounds about right. I've got to make some time to learn about Fritz Lang. I make no connection to what is going on in the U.S. on the state level.

Y'all can go back to 1911 if you want to: Me? I like the future just fine. We don't have to worry about the end of the world. I'm just trying to make it to the end of each week.

The British Film Institute page on his work is a starting point.

Metropolis1927.com is dedicated to the film, scroll down the page for links and commentary about the film, production and how it took 83 years for the film to be seen as it was originally intended.

Er...I'm in study mode, dig you later.

2 comments:

  1. They showed the restored version on Turner Classic Movies a while back. Terrific film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shucks! I couldn't have seen it, I don't have cable. I haven't turned on my TV in three or more years.

    Think I'll scout around for the DVD. The visuals from the trailer look intriguing.

    ReplyDelete