Sunday, February 27, 2011

The AFRO American PSA Experiment

Over at my other blog I was yakking about creating a public service announcement for the AFRO American archive. I wanted to show that you don't need a big time advertising agency to make a promotional video about something that you think other folks should know about.

You might need more talent and design skills than I possess. Actually, you don't. We need to stop talking about doing stuff and just up and do it to the best of our abilities.

This is where I am this day.



I really want to let other people like librarians, genealogists, researchers, historians and those of us with an interest in history to know about this resource.
It doesn't happen much anymore but I had students asking for information for more information Sarah Goode like clock work during Black History Month.

Each one of us is a connection to another person's history and by extension to the national history. That history does not end with the election of a president.

I'm going to keep trying to get it right. Because I will not allow a bunch of low hanging fruit inside and outside of Congress to determine who I am and where I came from. I know parts of my history and I'm working on the rest of it.

It will not be erased without a fight.

1 comment:

  1. Important info Gena. Years ago I used to sell books for black children. There were two books which may not be in print any longer. Both were written by Robert Hayden. One was called Nine Black American Inventors and the other was called Seven Black American Scientists (I may have the #s crossed.)
    Also, if you havne't yet done so, grab The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson. It is exquistely written.

    ReplyDelete