Friday, December 10, 2010

Say A Little Prayer on the Finally Friday Freakout

Sister Aretha Franklin is in many of our hearts and prayers this day and in the days to come. I'm not ready to let her go just yet but God knows it is not in my hands.



It is harder to think of a family that hasn't been touched by cancer. You'd wish it be more selective and take out the crumb bums type of folks that need to leave the planet quick, fast and in a hurry.

That is me being spiteful. I meant it but it isn't a nice thing to say or think.

So let me try again.

I remember being a kid and walking around the neighborhood. Folks had either table radios or transistor 9 volt radios. I could walk around the block to the corner store and hear her music.

I don't mean to diminish the other singers of the time. Aretha made you pay attention. I wanted to sing like that woman. I still do. I can't carry a tune in a bucket but I try.

She makes you want to try.

So I'm a little fretful that the shadow of the Hard C is stoking up to take another passenger. I'm trying to brace up but I hope it is a very long time before I have to bust out the tears.

I'll say a little prayer instead.

1 comment: