Friday, October 08, 2010

The Sounds of Blackness on the Finally Friday Freakout

I bought the cassette of the first album of the Sounds of Blackness. Side one was so good it took me two years to remember to flip to side two. I took inspiration anyway I could get it.

I watched Joseph Campbell on TV, even the re-runs of the program with Bill Moyers. The story about the man, the kid and the glass of milk still rattles me.

Les Brown was coming up at that time. Flipped through Science of Mind magazine to check out that action. Taking Yoga classes when I could afford them. Reading new age and thought type magazines.



This is a representational video of side one of that album. Special bonus that Roger Troutman of Zapp in spoofing in some of the video. Sadly, I don't think groups like the Sounds of Blackness could get radio time today.

Really, we do need more fun, danceable and singable tunes. I wouldn't mind a song or two that aimed a little higher than crotch level.

I don't know about you songs like "I got mine and I'll kill you for yours" does not help me move through my day.

Never did.

So a mini love letter to those musicians that want to play a different song. Go for it. We are waiting for you.

1 comment:

  1. Hear! Hear! Positivity, love and just plain fun. More songs like that are what we need! Sounds of Blackness - I play them a lot when I'm walking and want to kick into higher gear.

    ReplyDelete