Friday, October 29, 2010

Lazy Bones on the Finally Friday Freakout

The intersections between Black folks and White folks is a precarious one. There are those that proclaim "I don't see color, I see people." That is acceptable until the person with the color on the skin speaks up.

Then folks get agitated.

Why can't you be like me? Why must you be different? Why must you speak different and what is up with the hair thing? My faith is all you need to know; anything else is blasphemy. There is only one true American and it ain't you because you don't look like me.

At the time this clip was created the only visibility in commercial films for African Americans was as domestic employees. Dancing, singing or just mugging it up for joy employees. Employees that perform the almost impossible but not really a part of the scene. They flicker in and out.

Unless you lived in the southeastern section of America in the 1940s where scenes like this was usually cut out.



The "I see people folks" would have seen the girl and man servant. They didn't call black men butlers in American movies. Nor did they do so to Asian domestic employees as well.

In this clip we enter a world of the Interlocutor where it is permissible to occupy the same space, just for a moment. Women can be frisky, Hoagy can be cool and Peter Ray and Dorothy Dandridge can almost make you forget you have Mr. Carmichael tinkling those keys.

One can see the other but the line is never crossed. I'd thought I watch this as a refresher course as we race backward in time. I hear the 1773 celebrations are busting out out all over and the election is just a formality to restoring America to what it was.

I think the guy's house that was allowed to burn down by the fire department in Tennessee is a real good example of just how much limited government some people want restored.

I know about Hoagy Carmichael from the movie To Have and Have Not. Historically, I know about Dorothy Dandridge and the tribulations she had in Hollywood. I know nothing about Peter Ray. A quick surface search led to zip. I can't find anything.

This is why we need a museum for musicians, women folks and dancers. To be on the safe side, we need a museum and library for every adjective person on the planet. That way nobody is left out and visibility is assured.

I'm not feeling hopeful about next week. I do want folks to vote. I don't care about your politics as much as you perform your civic duty and vote. For the love of god and country you political slackers have got to vote.

(Ok, I do care about the pot initiative. California, y'all know folks can't drive while texting, applying make-up or tuning satellite radio. Why do you want to add ganja to the mix? It is a badly written law. Hemp yes, straight up MaryJane no. Vote No 0n 19." )

In other news, I just can't understand how Delaware citizens can put up a candidate that seriously did not know the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievance.
Not, good. So not good, We are in deep, holding on praying expectantly for my change shall come. Dame doesn't know diddly about U.S. Government she is trying to represent... I don't understand...

(An actual logic loop freakout is occurring...I'll be ok in a couple of hours.)

No comments:

Post a Comment