Monday, April 12, 2010

Tranquility Alley - Day 2 Videoblogging Week 2010

Videoblogging will lead you to interesting places and concepts. It is very educational. I learned something that I did not know before making this video.




For those that can't see the video I was asked to leave the alley because I was recording the parking structure. The reason given was that the building was copyrighted and the architects didn't want the building recorded for others to copy.

That can't be right. I'd have to check. The whole freaking parking garage that is in public view? I don't think so.

Can you copyright a parking garage structure? A building? I need to know because I don't want to think I know something when I don't.

I found this at Cornell University Law School's U.S. Code Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 17 (8)
Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:

(1) literary works;
(2) musical works, including any accompanying words;
(3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music;
(4) pantomimes and choreographic works;
(5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works;
(6) motion pictures and other audiovisual works;
(7) sound recordings; and
(8) architectural works.

I'll be danged! Seriously? Hold on Sherman there is more...

(a) Pictorial Representations Permitted.— The copyright in an architectural work that has been constructed does not include the right to prevent the making, distributing, or public display of pictures, paintings, photographs, or other pictorial representations of the work, if the building in which the work is embodied is located in or ordinarily visible from a public place.


Ah Ha! I did have the right to record and take pictures of the building!

Sure I can understand the recorded plans and the architectural documents being copyrighted. That would make sense. But the actual constructed building? Seems like an inspiration killer to me.

I can't hate on right livelihood. The folks that made the Pedi-Foot-Scraping thing knows the power of a knockoff. Still, you can't hide a public building. People will see it.

If the guy said that this was private property I could understand. But there was no sign or notice that this was a private area. And what is the sense of building a quiet place if you can't share it with a couple hundred, eh, dozen, a few friends?

Virtually speaking of course.

So there you have it; your educationally inspired vlog post of the day. Who knew?

1 comment:

  1. Rolling eyes... so hard to believe. But a beautiful garage non the less. :)

    ReplyDelete