Friday, December 11, 2009

Mercy Me on the Finally Friday Freakout

I have RSS feeds up the ying yang. I don't know why I have three different link streams but what can I tell you? I have needs. From AppScout I learned about this neat service called Who Sampled?

You can find out how much or how little a song is carried forward in time. How many times has Walk On By been covered or sliced and diced. You get to hear the original recording and the one that was inspired by or transformed the work. It is a interesting way to learn musical history and track the DNA of various musical forms.

Which leads me into Robert Palmer. I do like a sharp dressed man. Come to think of it, I like a sharp undressed man too. Yeah. Um, what a minute, I had a point.



Oh yes. I only knew of Robert Palmer from the videos he did with those underfed and over made-up dames. I kinda filtered them out and concentrated on him. Yes, I know (now) that he had a full and diverse career. Don't hate. I'm catching up on stuff.

Yesterday afternoon I needed a musical tonic and cross cultural healing. I started out with Salt N Pepper and somehow landed on this cover of Marvin Gaye's Mercy Mercy Me/I Want You.

It was cheaper than a bottle of Two Buck Chuck. From there I wondered into Peter Gabriel land and then Jocelyn Brown''s Somebody's Else Guy.

Influences. Or just Every Kind of People

No comments:

Post a Comment