Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Santa Ana Winds

The Santa Ana wind is kicking up something fierce. All afternoon I've heard leaves, soft whistles and metal expanding and contracting. The birds gave up and called it a day. The crickets are telling folks to lay low.

These winds are nothing new but when they blow this hard they force you to pay attention to nature, the will of the seasons and just how much you nose can twitch to keep from sneezing.

I happen to like the wind when it is warm but we had enough of that fire thing so we are experiencing cool Santa Ana winds. Unusual but, you know change is good.

So they say.

So sleep will be a challenge tonight because I'll hear everything I don't want or need to hear.

The sound of the wind, I don't mind.

4 comments:

  1. Rock a bye baby in the tree top
    When the wind blows the cradle will rock...actually this is not a good lullaby because the cradle falls.
    We had some fierce, howling winds here in the middle of Boston the other nights - scary - but eventually I got to sleep.
    Hope you get a good rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try. Just slipped on the flannels and fishing out the thicker blankets.

    The rascals are still swirling in the moonlight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoyed the Santa Ana's for their sounds and their sky clearing, mountain finding goodness. I hope they treat you well this winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do love them, especially when they blow hot from the north. Alas, I can't exactly wish for that after our fire outbreaks this year.

    But there is something magical about the Santa Ana's.

    ReplyDelete