Friday, September 04, 2009

Smoke and Deacon Blues on the Finally Friday Freakout

I loved Burt Sugarman's Midnight Special. Everybody was on that show and you usually couldn't slide up and just lip sync. There was no need for wardrobe distractions. This is not to say that people did not dress creatively. Hey it was the 70s, ok?

I don't buy from television infomercials. I almost made an exception for the Midnight Special collection. One of these days I'm going to get my hands on a Midnight Special performance I saw by Van Morrison, Etta James and Dr. Hook. It was perfection as I recalled. I could be wrong but, really with these three? I don't think so.

Burt, I swear I'll pay legit cash money for it. In the meantime this song came into my head a couple of days ago. I was talking about relationships with a friend. I could here it in his voice. I knew that one of his heart fires was a Smoke from a Distant Fire. This is the Sanford Townsend Band.



And to make up for totally blowing last week's Freakout, on account I was up to my neck in researching and writing. I think I heard first heard Steely Dan on the radio but the movie FM and the music from the movie caused total loyalty to these guys.



Much love for these folks. Donald Fagen and Walter Becker with a 2006 rendition of Deacon Blues.



Peace out and be good to each other. You can disagree but no biting, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment