Friday, June 26, 2009

Stop - The Love You Save on the Finally Friday Freakout

It is still too much to take in. I was telling a friend this afternoon that with the passing of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson I could hear the invisible clock tick a little faster and just a little louder. I asked him if we were meant for this time?

He smiled at me and said "Yeah, I think so but the passage isn't always easy." No, it isn't.



This is one of my connections to the Jackson 5. On the list of firsts, this was one of the first animated series that featured African-American kids who could sing and have hit songs.

I don't like death. I accept it. I think once you make it to the other side it is cool. It doesn't matter if you believe in the afterlife or not. It doesn't matter on this side of the mist of time.

"It is the love you leave behind.", my friend says. Rascal might be right about that but this past week has been about the pain of love and loss. I'm not sure any of us really understand much more than the love of music. That is a universal connector.

Adult longings and obligations. Love and marriage. Love and impossibilities. Love and death. I don't want to be a grown-up this weekend. So I reach back to one of my favorite songs of the Jackson 5 in memories of simple but not easier times. Saturday morning ABC television and a Rankin Bass production of Stop - The Love You Save Might Be Your Own.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment