Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Omnivore’s Hundred - My Choices

Food has been on my mind lately. There are things I can't have anymore. I can't sneak them down or savor them for long. I'm pissed about it but coming to the final stages of acceptance. So I wanted to know if I made a decent attempt at eating beyond my culture. This list originated at Very Good Taste in the UK and you can do it too if you want to.

Lemme see, ok if I've had it is in bold and because I'm too lazy to look up the strikeout code I'll color foods that I would not consume in red. And green if I haven't tried it and I'm willing. Here we go!

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding there was a German variation that I think I did eat. More liver like though.
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart not to mention hot links with a heavy does of grilled onions.
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle If somebody else is paying for the meal sure. Otherwise, no.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese or the East Coast version called Scrapple. Not enough ketchup in the world to eat that again.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper, Sorry no I don't have a death wish. Raw or cooked not for me.
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O well, maybe one. Just one. Really, one will do just fine.
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal Nope, love curry but not having a firestorm in the tummy. Pass.
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear if it is like catus yeah.
52. Umeboshi Few weeks back I had salted plum soda. Cleared my runny nose up in a jiff.
53. Abalone not because of the taste but we've damn near killed the species. We don't need to.
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini I don't know what a DGM is but I know my body does not like martinis.
58. Beer above 8% ABV Don't like beer. Don't like the smell or the taste. Ginger Beer is ok.
59. Poutine I would if I could. Fries, cheese and sauce? Yes please. I mean, no thanks but yeah!
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads Had an Argentine neighbor and it wasn't bad. Won't seek them out but ok.
63. Kaolin This is clay. Never want to be that hungry.
64. Currywurst
65. Durian Naw, If you have to wear a face mask to sneak up on it no, not for me.
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis I'd want to see someone eat it from a distance but no thank you.
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette I was a kid ok, I loved them but time marches on.
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe Isn't Absinthe the stuff that makes you crazy? I need no help.
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu or liquid rocket fuel for humans. I'd take a sip but I'd be sleeping at the table so after.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare if he means rabbit hell, no. My Granpa use to shoot them for dinner. Eat Bugs Bunny?
87. Goulash
88. Flowers Nasturniums are great in salads, nice and pepper-like.
89. Horse in the name of My Friend Flicka, No!
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam I had a lot of Spam when I was young. Way too much. You can have my share.
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa I would if I could.
94. Catfish Bottom feeders that creep me out. Again, a kid thing I cannot do it.
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee I don't like coffee.
100. Snake

Oh, one more thing. Just because I tried it does not mean I'd eat it again. I tried Pig Snout Soup. I liked it until I was told what it was. It did not stay with me long after that. Would not have eaten it if I was told what it was in the first place. Information is power.

No comments:

Post a Comment