Thursday, July 03, 2008

Declarations of Independence

I stopped at the table of the American Civil Liberties Union table at the American Library Association annual convention in Anaheim, CA. I was given a copy a small blue book of the Constitution of the United States of America.

I stop by the Cato Institute table where I am given a small red book on the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States. I didn’t get squat from the Hoover Institute because I got the impression I shouldn’t approach the table let alone be allowed see what freebies they wanted to pass on to library type folks.

I’m thinking the Universe is trying to tell me something. I was in the bookstore today buying my computer magazines when I see the Constitution of the United States selling for $2.95 plus tax. I can take a hint. There are days when I'm not so sure that the Constitution has anything to do with the country I live in but there are days when I do feel a connection with the more positive aspects of the document.

But I like the Amendments better ;-)

I know that the Iroquois Nations had their own constitution known as the Great Law of Peace. Some folks say there was a bit of “appropriation.” I’ll leave that for you to decide but items 5, 9, 10 and 11 do seem to have a familiar ring to them; even though they were composed around 1090AD.

In this video, Leondra King is explaining what the Constitution means to her:

So what if women did have a say in declaring independence? And is there more than one kind of declarations of independence? Historically there was a women centered Declaration of Sentiments and Resolutions that was created in Seneca Falls New York in 1848. Here is an sample:

  • Resolved, That woman is man's equal—was intended to be so by the Creator, and the highest good of the race demands that she should be recognized as such.
  • Resolved, That the women of this country ought to be enlightened in regard to the laws under which they -live, that they may no longer publish their degradation, by declaring themselves satisfied with their present position, nor their ignorance, by asserting that they have all the rights they want.
  • Resolved, That inasmuch as man, while claiming for himself intellectual superiority, does accord to woman moral superiority, it is pre-eminently his duty to encourage her to speak, and teach, as she has an opportunity, in all religious assemblies.

Sound familiar? I can’t think of a day on BlogHer when someone at some time invokes a variation of these sentiments.

There are all sorts of declarations that are being defined and redefined. Patricia at Washington Ding wants to have her own independence from the United States Congress for failing to act on impeachment, failure to protection of citizens in harms way and not living up to the stated goals of the original document.

Over at Be the Muse there is the question of what do you gain and give up in pursuit of your art?  For Tiffany at At Home in the Asylum her declaration means dealing with emotions and stepping away from the cookies for her health and well being. New blogger Christina at Declaration of Inspiration wants to inspire you to go forward from a Christian spiritual perspective.

May you always honor your own personal whispers of declarations.

This post also appeared at BlogHer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment