Monday, February 04, 2008

Why Do I Have To Choose?

Ah, the joys of rendering video. In the meantime I have photos and a wee bit of commentary on them.

Waiting

It seemed as if I was in a constant state of waiting. Not blaming anyone in particular. Leaving at 8:00a.m. it took me about 2.5 hours to get to UCLA. Actually that is really good time on the bus. Thank goodness for the Rapid Lines.

I got there about 10:00 a.m. There was a line of folks wrapped around the Pavilion and the doors didn't open until 11:30am. I have to be honest. I didn't feel very social. I felt out of place because I wasn't a supporter. I came to hear why I should vote for this man.

Plus, there was this guy behind me yammering on about how frigging great New York is to Los Angeles. His friend did try to school him, "Manhattan is a smaller place. Things are more expansive out here. You are comparing apples or oranges"

It got old after 10 minutes and like I said we were standing out there for an hour and half. There was a diverse set of folks but not too much cross chatter. Folks were pretty much tribal.

We got inside and it was a bum rush for seats. A lot of folks headed for the floor area. I had a wee bit of problems navigating the steps so after scoping out a decent vantage point I plunked down and waited. And waited with loud music. And waited some more. The event didn't get started until 1:00 p.m.

Protestor

This was the only protester I saw after the rally. Part of the reason for my headache actually. It seems that despite our higher goals it comes down to race and gender. Or race and loyalty. Or gender in the mist of making history.

The focus has shifted from who is best for the job to "Who is going to be the first "?" in the White House". Not the right question.

None of which has to do with electing a president. Here is what I want. Somebody who can think independent of other people. Someone who can listen to others and make up their own mind. I'd like a book worm quality but people skills are essential.

There is a huge honking national debt. Infrastructure work is needed in every state in the Union. The "Recession" word gives me the willies. We can't keep ignoring immigration reform.

I don't care if the next president is faith based or not, I don't need to know about it. I don't want the next president's faith attempting to remove any of my rights as an American.

And most of all I want substance over rhetoric. Inspire, yes. But I want action on day three.

Both the Democratic candidates can talk a mile a minute with grace and intelligence. Their spouses are forces of nature and not to be dismissed as the "husband" or the "wife".

I still don't know who I am voting for in the primary. I do know that this country has a lot of work to do and it must re-united itself or we are cosmic toast. It isn't the President that has to do this work.

It is the citizens that need to transform our thinking. I'm not sure we have a collective clue on how to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment