Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Commercial Free Childhood - Protecting Kids From Consumerism

I don't have children but I know many people who do and it seems to me that parents are being pressured not only from the antics of the rug rats but companies and marketing firms that are trying to "mode" the tykes into brand loyalty at an early age.

I stumbled in to the Commercial Free Childhood site. I have to tell you on first glance at the topics sidebar I said to myself "You mean I'm not the only one that sees rampant sexualizing of girl children?"

On the Facts page, I downloaded the .pdf file on marketing to babies and toddlers. The TeleTubbies brought with them a new form of marketing by vendors , under the rapper of "educational programs" that has turned into a tidal wave. Not knocking Sesame Street or Blue's Clues. It is the marking practices of ancillary products we all might want to take a look at.

This website is certainly worth checking out - because if they are doing this to toddlers what are they doing to us? http://www.commercialfreechildhood.org

1 comment:

  1. http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=owner%3Aucberkeley+lunch+poems

    ReplyDelete