Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Peace Walk In Pasadena

There is a growing generation of people who do not know how to be quiet. They do not know how to be alone with their thoughts or even that it is possible to be internally quiet.

The Peace Walk is an exercise of being in the here and now. It is a physical meditation on how to generate a "field of peace." The more peaceful people on the planet, the less war and conflict. My understanding is that you can't petition for peace if you are at war with yourself.

Click the photo or this link for the 7.7MB QuickTime Video

Click this link for the 8.5MB Windows Movie Video version

I like certain aspects of the Buddhist faith but I am not a follower. I understand about "loving kindness" and being in the moment, but I still have a tendency to want to mentally take a baseball bat to people that annoy me.

I've listen to a few of Pema Chodron lectures via Sounds True. It is good stuff but the concept of mental stillness is a tough one for me. Ah well, it is the journey.

Speaking of which, if you make it to the end of the video there is a destination. It is a sad one that I wish did not have to be. When I experienced it drained me of the peace of being in the moment. It caused me to be sad and angry at such a waste.

If you would like to participate in a Peace Walk or learn more about it visit http://www.yoga-losangeles.com/peaceiseverystep.html
or http://peaceiseverystep.net

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gena,

    I understand your anger. I have always been more of an activist than someone who meditates. About three years ago I started practicing Buddhism and other healing arts.

    I never used to be able to slow down and didn't understand how that could possible help anyone or stop all the suffering I witnessed.

    Now I meditate regularly and it is a source of sanctuary for me. It allows me the inner sustenance to do the activist work I do.

    Fueled by my rage at war, I began to work as a counselor for returning Veterans suffering with PTSD.
    I have found that when I heal and care for myself, I am stronger for others.

    I like Buddhism because it offers a framework for accepting the suffering in the world while still advocating for serving and helping others.

    I enjoyed this post. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete