Monday, January 16, 2006

Living In This Time - MLK Anti-War Video 1967

There is no question - without the activists, future thinkers, dreamers and courageous people from my historical past I would not be here today. Mother Parks, and Father King and those that walked in the paths they paved for me made me possible.

There was an enforced prohibition on renting to non-whites in the city I currently live in. I certainly wouldn't have the job that I currently have because, other than domestic workers, there were no other minority encourage employment, this was a proud "John Birch" city. Forget about shopping or siting in a park.

But I don't like to see Dr. King reduced to a twice a year icon. He was a multi-dimensional person. He understood that you couldn't ask for justice for your people but for all people. In 1967 he drew heavy criticism for participating in protesting against the Vietnam war. Some folks felt he should stick to domestic affairs, some felt he had stepped too far out, beyond his base. And then there were the "church folk."

But I promised Spirit I'd lay off pointing fingers at the "so-called" faithful and some of their leaders. They don't need my help, some of them are crashing into reality even as I type. But I am really angry at them for they know what they do can't be in alignment with their teachings and keep doing it anyway. Ugh.

I did have a point - oh yeah, over at the beloved Internet Archive there is a portion of a video shot by Universal Newsreel on a protest march to the UN with Dr. King. If he was here now I feel he would have stood against this war and the other non-legal actions that are associated with it. It is a public domain video. Everything old is new again.
http://www.archive.org/details/1967-04-18_Peace_March

No comments:

Post a Comment