The PSA is going to be very simple. Even if you have an old Windows 98 clunker you can create a web based PSA. So simple that I will set up a few arbitrary limitations just to make sure that you can complete the project:
- Length: less than 20 seconds
- Size: 320 by 240 for a web posting or 160 x 120 to send by email
- Audio: No narration, optional music
- Software: Dubit - you can download a free copy from http://www.techsmith.com/products/dubit/default.asp
- Photo Editing software, your choice, M$ Paint, IrfanView, The Gimp or whatever you have on your computer.
Local store owners could only afford to buy a certain amount of commercials. To fill in the time, TV stations used freely supplied public service announcements. If the movie was a real turkey there would air nothing but PSA's. If you are curious, you can visit the Advertising Council's at http://www.adcouncil.org/campaigns/historic_campaigns to view classic PSA's of the past 50 years.
You might have doubts that you can tell a story with just photos and a bit of music. NorthWest Cable News has a selection of Quick Time and Flash animations photo essays you can view to get inspired - http://www.nwcn.com/s/dws/spe/2003/minute30