Friday, May 23, 2008

Koko Taylor on The Finally Friday Freakout

I was a hard core Funkateer. I didn't want to hear blues music or anything that sounded like it. I damned near died of shame when my mother put on Isreal "Poppa Stopper" Tolbert and cranked up "Big Legged Woman with a Short, Short Mini Skirt". You can listen to that song if you want to but you have been warned.

I was strange kid. I could listen to classical. I liked the story telling kind of country music and yes, I watched "Hee-Haw". Didn't have a choice, really. We only had three channels on television and our UHF was kind of permanently fuzzed up.

Anyway, it took many years and more life experience before I was able to hear the craftsmanship, the humor and the power of blues music. It hit me while I was trying to write something. I had the radio on and I heard this voice say something about "these aren't my pajamas, this isn't my toothbrush, why do you smell so good; is there something going on?"

Huh, what did he say?

Koko Tayor sealed the deal with Insane Asylum with Willie Dixon. That thing slapped me upside the head and said "Hello, it is time don't you think?" I couldn't find a video of that but this ain't bad. This is a video from the 1960s Koko Taylor on lead and Little Walter standing tall in the background (I think) peeling off a slice of "Wang Dang Doodle".

As for this gloomy Friday of a weather wacky week in California all I can say is "Nuts". It was roasting on Monday and Tuesday. The Santa Ana winds were kicking fierce on Wednesday and we had thunderstorms Thursday and Friday. We are not use to having four distinct seasons in one week.

I'm looking for Peace. Peace be still.

No comments:

Post a Comment